Monday, August 23, 2010

Menemen




I love this classic Turkish dish. It is usually eaten at breakfast (unless you're a single guy living alone and knowing only to make eggs cause until now you only have eaten your mom's food!!). This Sunday we went out for breakfast and ordered a menemen. Unfortunately this was a bad call. There was too much grease and tomato paste on it.  Definitely not good for my taste in breakfast… So this morning I wake up again to the idea of menemen, thinking how I can make this dish simpler with a more elegant presentation.
The dish consists originally of tomatoes, peppers, onions, butter and eggs. I love butter on top of my toast but I used olive oil for my menemen and I seriously don’t like onions when I just wake up. Hence my recipe is not exactly the original but just simpler… The servings are also per one whereas the original recipe comes to table in the skillet and is shared by everyone there.



Ingredients
1 medium tomato
3 or 4 red peppers
2 gloves of garlic
2 free range eggs
Salt, pepper
Dried chili

Put 2 table spoon of olive oil in a medium size skillet and add the garlic cloves. No needs to peel or chop since you are going to remove them once they have given their taste to the oil. Cut the peppers in half and remove the grains with the tip of a sharp knife. Slice the peppers thinly and transfer them to the skillet. Peel the tomato and chop it roughly. After 4-5 minutes add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook for 5 more minutes. Don’t let the tomatoes cook too much and become a purée. Season with salt, pepper and dried chilies. Transfer to an individual porcelain tart pan. Add the 2 eggs without disrupting the yolks. Cook in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. The whites should be firm while the yolks remain silky.  I used the maximum heating setting from the above.
Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment